Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Planning a Write Out Day

Recently, I was lassoed into a Write Out at the Broadmoor with my WFTJ writers friends. I must admit though, it didn’t take a lot of convincing. Spending the day with my favorite people is incentive enough, but when you throw in the Broadmoor , I’m hooked.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of work I accomplished. As social as I am, I didn’t anticipate a highly productive writing day.

“We have to do this more often,” I reflected aloud as my fingers flew over the keys.

“Um hmm,” they muttered into their laptops.

The creativity was flowing so freely, I thought of asking for a ‘to go’ box, or at the very least, another couple of days.

Convinced yet? Ready to plan your own? Below are a few tips.
What to bring to a write out:

* Laptop
* Cord for laptop
* Lunch money
* Water
* Chocolate
* Idea’s
* Camera
* Pen and paper
* Light jacket
* Reading glasses
* Ipod


Other tips:

* Turn off your cell phone -Leave your family problems at home. They'll survive without you.

* Make a plan – stick to a schedule

* Drink plenty of water

* Take several projects so you can chose one that inspires you

* Go somewhere away from home

* Be prepared to socialize – but not too much.

Reasons to Plan a Write Out:

* Spend an entire day writing, free from distractions
* To bounce ideas off each other
* The creative energy is palatable